Lately folks a lot of you have been asking about some easy meals to prepare on a budget or with limited supplies. Some of the groceries stores aren’t fully stocked and it’s tricky finding ingredients.
If you missed it, we recently did a video on two cuts of meat that are sometimes overlooked: Bologna and SPAM. Well folks, we threw that bologna on the smoker to create a candied crust and we also shared two versions of SPAM: breakfast hash and fried SPAM balls.
You know I’ve always said it – food doesn’t have to be complicated to be good. So in keeping with the tradition, we thought we’d share another tasty, simply and flavorful SPAM recipe with y’all.
This recipe actually came from our good friend Tom and his sidekick, Molly the Muncher. Molly is a certified Taste Tester and this dish has been tail-wag approved. However she did mention that she Prefers the SPAM and picks around the pineapple.
The easy sauce gives it added flavor made up of soy sauce, pineapple juice and red wine vinegar (you could also use straight red wine for a more mellow flavor). We also like to make a little extra of the sauce and serve it on top.
Just like SPAM, this dish is very versatile and you can throw in a little of anything you’d like. For a more south of the border flavor you can stir in some green chiles, jalapenos or bell peppers.
We used a long grain white rice but you can use any type you’d like.
However, this works best when you cook the rice and then chill it completely before cooking with the recipe.
SPAM Fried Rice - Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice from can
- 2 Cups cooked white rice long grain or rice of your choice
- 1 Can Spam cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 4 pineapple rings from can cut into chunks
- 3 - 4 green onions sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, soy sauce and pineapple juice. Set aside.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the spam and cook for a few minutes until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat. Add the eggs to the skillet and stir to scramble. Once the eggs start to cook, stir in the rice. Stir constantly until the eggs are nearly done. Stir in the spam and pineapple.
- Stir in half of the green onions. Stir in the sauce mixture.
- Top with the remaining green onions and serve hot.