Pigs in a Cornfield
Oooh, we’ve got an easy, one-pot meal today. Get your taste buds ready for the cowboy version of Pigs In A Cornfield. It’s sweet and spicy, with pork sausage, chorizo and creamed corn, and you’re gonna love it.
Start With The Pig
This recipe can be made in a Dutch oven or in a skillet. Whatever your choice, you’ll start with good ground sausage. We used Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Sausage. Just pinch bite-sized pieces off the roll and place it all over the bottom of your skillet. But, we’ve got to have a few more pigs in our cornfield. That’s why I’m adding a spicy chorizo. You can use ground, or I just sliced up the links with the casing and fried them up. The casing will dissolve.
Cackleberries And Corn
You’re gonna need something to hold this all together and bring the cornfield into the mix. Typically, this dish was used with small corn cobs that were placed around the outside of the dish.
I’ve done that before, but for the twist in our dish I’m using cream corn from the can. It’s easy and it gives a creamier and sweeter taste to our sausage casserole.
Then you’ll need to mix in one sleeve of crushed Ritz Crackers. Spread the corn, eggs and crackers on top of the sausage mixture.
Sprinkle with a little Original Red River Ranch Seasoning and then place several pats of butter on top of your dish.
If you’re in the house, go ahead and start cooking it at 350 degrees F. After it goes for about 25 minutes, crank the oven to 400, and while it’s heating up, add another sleeve of crushed Ritz Crackers to the top of the dish. This is going to give that crust a blast of heat. You’ll finish it off by adding some shredded cheese just until it melts.
Tip: Some chorizo can be greasy. As the dish cooks, you can dip a little of the grease off the top and discard.
Top It Off
When the cheese is melted, garnish your dish with chopped green onions. Serve it up hot and enjoy your Pigs In A Cornfield.
Pigs in a Cornfield - Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 1 pound ground breakfast pork sausage
- ½ pound chorizo
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- ½ white onion chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 14.75 ounce can cream corn
- 2 large mall sleeves Ritz crackers crushed
- ½ stick butter cut into tablespoons
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onions for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the sausage and chorizo to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper, jalapeno and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and cream corn together. Stir in 1 sleeve of the Ritz crackers.
- Spread the cracker mixture over the top of the sausage mixture. Place the butter slices evenly on top and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and turn the oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Top the dish with the remaining sleeve of Ritz crackers. Cook for about 10 minutes, sprinkle the top evenly with cheese and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and top green onions. Serve hot.