What makes a smashed burger special? The burger is smashed flat and added to the hot griddle while still cold. The shock of the heat on the fat in the burger causes the burger to caramelize and creates unbelievable flavor and seals so much of the delicious juice inside.
We’d Appreciate it if You Shared this Recipe!
You’ll want everything ready to put the burger together correctly: the bun, the sauce, the cheese – all of it. The burger cooks fast and tastes best when it’s fresh off of the grill.
When I was a child, we’d come to town on Saturday to the old cafe in Hollis, Oklahoma and that aroma coming off the flat top grill just takes me right back.
Homemade Brioche Buns
Y’all know I don’t get full on fancy that often, but I’ll make an exception for this. It’s surprisingly easy to make a homemade brioche bun if you start early enough.
Begin by Proofing the Yeast
Warm water, half and half, yeast, and sugar all mixed together will proof in ten minutes. While the yeast mixture proofs, start putting together the dry ingredients.
Tip: Sugar helps yeast proof faster.
Brioche Bun Dough Uses Soft Butter
When you make pie crust, often you cut cold butter into the flour & baking soda. That’s not what I want you to do here. Instead, get a softened butter and mix it well into the flour until there are no more clumps of butter hanging around.
Once the dry ingredients are mixed well with the butter, make a well in the center and add a slightly beaten egg. Pour the proofed yeast mixture into the dough and mix well. When the dough gets a little shaggy, put some flour on your hands and squeeze and knead until you have a firm, slightly tacky dough ball.
Brioche Bun Dough – Knead, Rise, Punch
Make a dough ball and knead for five minutes or so. If you’re using a stand mixer with a dough hook, knead for five minutes or so at speed 2.
We’re going to let this dough rise twice. First, grease a medium sized bowl. Place dough inside and let rest for 90 minutes. It should have risen to the very top of the bowl.
Remove the dough from the bowl and divide into six equal pieces that are like a disc with the dome in the center. Cover with greased saran wrap and set aside for another 45 minutes.
These buns will double in size. Egg wash the top, sprinkle sesame seeds or anything else you want on top of the bun, and bake. When done, let them cool on a wire rack.
This sauce is simple. Grate onion and jalapeno into a small bowl. Add mayonnaise and mustard. Mix well – trust me this stuff is amazing. Keep it cool until time to spread on the buns.
Grilling the Smash Burger
Divide a pound of 80/20 beef into four balls. Keep them cold so the sear will caramelize the outside of the burger.
Place on the hot griddle and take a piece of wax paper – place it over the burger patty and SMASH – add Original Seasoning. Flip and do the same on the other side.
Tip: Use wax paper over the burger to prevent the burger meat from sticking to the smasher.
Top the burger with cheese special sauce, lettuce, tomato, and anything else you favor. This burger is a meal in and of itself! You’ll be stuffed.
As always, Shannon and I thank you for enjoying our videos with us. Please remember to subscribe to our YouTube Channel and click like on all of your favorite videos. Check our events page or subscribe to our newsletter to find out about upcoming events. We will see you next time!
Products Used in This Video
More Burger Recipes
- Homemade Chorizo Burger
- Brisket Burger with Smoked Bacon
- Oklahoma Fried Onion Burger
- Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders
- All-American Grilled Burger Dog
- Smoked Texas-Toast Cheeseburger with Chipotle Aioli
- Roasted Green Chile Burger
Smash Burgers! – Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 1 pound 80/20 ground chuck
- ½ cup shredded yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons grated jalapeno
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup mustard
- Kent’s Original Seasoning or your favorite burger seasoning
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Lettuce for topping
- Sliced tomato for topping
- Butter for spreading
- 2 brioche buns or hamburger buns
- Divide the ground beef into 4 equal parts and form into balls. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to chill.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the onion, jalapeno, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Spread the butter on the top and bottoms of the buns and toast until lightly browned.
- Heat and grease a large cast iron skillet or a flat griddle over medium-high heat. Place the meat on the skillet or grill. Place a piece of waxed paper on top and mash with a grill press or cast iron skillet until the meat is flattened. Remove the waxed paper.
- Season each patty with the Original seasoning, or substitute.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until browned, then flip the patties over. Top with one slice of cheddar cheese and cook for an additional 1 minute or until browned. Remove from the heat.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on the underside of the top and bottom buns. Top each bun with 2 patties. Top with lettuce and tomato. Serve immediately.
Homemade Brioche Buns – Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- 2 packets dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs whisked
- Sesame seeds for topping optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the warm water, half and half, yeast and sugar. Let proof for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl cut in 3 tablespoons of butter in the flour until combined. Stir in the salt, baking powder and 1 egg. Stir in the yeast mixture. If using a stand hook, knead with the dough hook for about 5 minutes. Or alternatively, you can hand knead the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter on pour on top. Cover with plastic wrap and let set 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out and cut into 6 equal pieces. Form into discs and slightly dome the middle. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Brush the remaining egg on top of the buns and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 375 degrees F. for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.