“Lemme have a Diablo Sammich and a Dr. Pepper – and make it fast. I’m in a . . . hurry.” – Buford T. Justice, Sheriff (played by Jackie Gleason).
Sometimes, when Heath and I get together, we like to reminisce about our favorite old movies. Of course, Smokey and the Bandit ranks way up there. We got to thinking – what was in that Diablo sandwich that Sheriff Justice wanted so bad? Well, we decided we’d make a sandwich worthy of the name “Diablo.” For those of y’all that don’t live so close to the border, Diablo means “devil” in Spanish – any sandwich fit for a devil must be HOT.
We appreciate you sharing our recipes with your friends and family!
What We Know about the Diablo Sandwich
One – we know that the Diablo sandwich is made of loose meat, and it has a sauce that will cause a stain on a shirt.
Two – it gives Sheriff Justice heartburn. That’s the second indication besides the name “diablo” that this sandwich has some kick to it!
The Diablo Sandwich
Tip: Save excess fat to use in stock or to flavor stews.
Tip: Once the bbq is sauced up, heat it in the smoker, uncovered, with some cherry and oak wood to boost the flavor.
Add Sliced Hot Links
To take this sandwich to the next level, add some smoked hot links. I like J.C. Potter Hot Links but you can use any hot link you want. A jalapeno cheddar sausage would also taste mighty good on a Diablo sandwich. Heat them up on the smoker next to the brisket, and you’ll get some extra smoke flavor for the sandwich.
Slice the hot links round like pickles. Add them on top of the brisket.
Shop This Recipe
Side Dish Ideas for the Diablo Sandwich
More Amazing Sandwiches
- The Cowboy Cuban Sandwich
- Smoked and Fried Bologna Sandwich
- Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Best Steak Sandwich
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Tri Tip Sandwich
- Classic Ruben Sandwich with Smoked Pastrami
- Philly Cheesesteak – Cowboy Wagon Cheesesteak Sandwich
As always, Shannon and I thank you for sharing our recipes with your friends and family. To learn of our latest new recipes weekly, sign up for the email newsletter. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram while you’re at it. See y’all around!
Diablo Sandwich - Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs. shredded Brisket pork butt or chicken
- 2 to 3 tablespoons adobo sauce
- ¾ to 1 cup Red River Mud BBQ sauce or your favorite blend
- 4 hot link spicy sausage
- 6 hamburger Buns
- Butter for spreading
- Kent’s Sweet and Spicy Green Chili Mustard optional
- Red onion for topping optional
- Preheat the smoker to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the shredded meat, adobo sauce and BBQ sauce together to your desired taste and consistency. Place the mixture into a foil pan and cover with foil. Place the meat on the indirect side of the smoker, or grill, to warm, stirring occasionally.
- Place the hot links on the indirect side of the smoker. Add a few chunks of cherry and oak woods to the coals and smoke for about 15 to 20 minutes. Move the hot links over the direct heat for about 4 minutes, or until lightly charred. Remove and cut into round slices.
- Meanwhile, butter the undersides of the buns and toast.
- To assemble the sandwiches: Add a generous helping of the brisket to each bottom bun, top with cut hot links. Spread the top bun with Kent’s Sweet and Spicy mustard and top with red onions, if using. Serve immediately.