You know what I don’t like? When someone says we’re going to have baked beans and they pour a can in a dish and serve it. Now don’t get me wrong- I use canned goods and canned goods can be good, but you have to give them a little more love.
This recipe is my go-to for any gathering. They’ve got just a little bite and a sweet BBQ flavor. Good beans come from knowing how to blend flavors and this one is spot on and cowboy approved!
Watch the Video….
Cowboy Baked Beans
- 6 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 26 oz can Ranch Style or Chili Beans
- 1 28 oz can Pork ‘n Beans
- 1 7 oz. can chipotle peppersadobo sauce chopped,
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2-1 cup BBQ sauce
- Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Add to a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until about ¾ done. Set aside.
- Using a colander, drain the juices from the beans. Add to a 12-inch Dutch oven.
- Stir in the chipotle peppers, to taste. Stir in the onion, mustard, brown sugar, BBQ and bacon. Adjust taste, if needed.
- Cook over coals until the mixture reaches a boil, let simmer a few additional minutes and the mixture thickens just slightly. Serve warm with a slotted spoon.