Check out the recipe that appeared on the Food Network’s Beat Bobby Flay. Bobby challenged me to a chicken fried steak while we were cooking on a ranch. Bobby sure got hot that day!
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 20 MINUTES
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄4 cup seasoned salt
3 tablespoons lemon pepper
2 tablespoons garlic salt
Canola or peanut oil for frying
Golden Fry Batter (see below)
4 (5-ounce) pieces tenderized top or bottom round steak or cube steak
1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, seasoned salt, lemon pepper, and garlic salt. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, pot, or deep Dutch oven, pour in enough oil to deep-fry the steaks (2 to 3 inches). Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches about 350°F.
3. Pick up one piece of meat with tongs and dip it into the batter and then into the flour mixture. Be sure both sides are well coated. Repeat, or as I call it, “double baptize.” Repeat with the remaining steaks.
4. Fry the pieces for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with the gravy.
TIP: “Tenderized” steaks, which are cut from the eye of round, top round, or bottom round, have been mechanically tenderized by the butcher. They look like a cross between a hamburger and a steak. They are also called cube steaks. You can also buy the cuts and tenderize them yourself with a meat tenderizing hammer.
If using our Original seasoning for the seasoned flour use 3 cups of flour to 1/3 cup of seasoning- or to taste.
Golden Fry Batter
3 tablespoons powdered whole egg
3 tablespoons powdered milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 cups warm water
I used to be a milk or buttermilk and egg fan when battering meat to fry, but it seemed that the coating didn’t want to stick to the meat as well as I needed it to. This creates a thicker, crispier crust that is the secret to my chicken-fried steak and will work to create a golden crust on meats, veggies, or anything you dream of frying up.
1. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, baking powder, and paprika together.
2. Dissolve the mixture in the water.
TIP: You can replace the Golden Fry Batter with a mixture of 2 cups milk or buttermilk, 2 large eggs, beaten, and 1 teaspoon baking powder.
For the batter I used to beat Bobby Flay visithttp://www.decoty.com/and search for “miracle dip.”
Watch the Video…