Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
I sort of got a foul outlook on this episode today, but its in a good way. What am I talking about? Today we will be cooking up Green Chile Chicken Cheese Enchiladas. So Come on and join us the cheese is a melting and I ain’t waiting.
Two Kinds a Chicken
So lets talk about this chicken, two big ol breast, two big ol bone in thighs. I like to leave the skin on the thighs its going to save me some flavor and the juices. Now for this chicken you’ll want to take some Red River Ranch Original, sprinkle it in really good on both sides, pat it in well. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees and we’re going to cook in in a 9×13 casserole dish with what? A 1/2 a cup of chicken broth. We’re going to slip in the oven for one hour. Then we are going to take it out and slice that chicken right down the middle checking for “doneness”.
Time Too Shred.
Now once this chicken has come out the oven and had time to cool, we’re gonna start shredding it up, for this you can do it with a fork, you can do it with your hands, it is cooled off and you can see this chicken is tender and done all the way through. Just make sure its in tender good bite size pieces. Nothing worse than cutting into an enchilada and having a long piece pulled from the back forty, then the next bite may not have enough chicken. That would just be foul. Once shredded and broke apart lets go ahead and take a large knife and chop it up just a tad so that this doesn’t happen.
Now its time to bring on the cheesy goodness and for this we have an 8 ounce block of softened cream cheese. Now you want to make sure you’re staying on a medium low heat and be stirring all the time to get this incorporated well. You want to make sure its good and silky.
as My friend Bruno Mars would say “if you’re gonna show up, you better show out. Smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy”
Bring on the Chiles
Now for this you want to add either 2 roasted Hatch green chiles or 4 ounce can of chopped green chiles. You also want to add a little cumin about a half teaspoon and little garlic salt. If you like a little bite in there like Me, Dukie and the Beag do, you can add a little cayenne pepper in there.
Marry them up.
Now is the time you can add your chicken back into this cheesy goodness. go ahead and let this warm through making sure to incorporate all of those flavors together.
Time for Tortillas.
Now for this you could just run down to the store and pick you up one of them sacks of tortillas. Don’t let me catch you doing it though, I’ll take this rollin pin and I will find you. Make the Homemade tortillas its so easy, Just follow this link HOMEMADE TORTILLAS. I’m gonna give you a secret, the secret ingredient is what? Bacon Grease.
Got To have Enchilada Sauce.
Now we have to have something to go in here in the bottom to start with. So I took me 1.5 cups of whipping cream, 1.5 cups of sour cream, a little cumin, a little cayenne pepper, mixed it up really well and a can of them green chiles or Hatch green Chiles. Now you want to take about a 1/3 of it and make sure its layering the bottom of your cooking vessel really well.
Stuff em and Get em Ready
Now you want to take about 2-3 table spoons per enchilada. Roll em up nicely and set em in there oh so gingerly. Load the Boat and then pour the remaining sauce over the top and lather it up good.
Warm em Up Through and Through
Go ahead and bake em up for about 20-25 min or until the tortillas soften and the cheese is melted. About 5 min before dish is done, go ahead and sprinkle about 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on there and let it finish melting.
Now folks you do know I love me some beef, but that chicken and cheese in there is so silky smooth. Makes me want to do the moonwalk backwards, forwards, breakdown low, a namaste and a warrior pose even. God bless you each and everyone. I’ll see you down the Hatch Green Chile Cream Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Trail.
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas - Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 2 medium bone-in chicken breast
- 2 medium bone-in chicken thighs
- Red River Ranch Original Seasoning or salt and coarse ground pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- ½ cup milk
- 1 8 ounce block of cream cheese, softened
- 2 roasted Hatch green chilis 0r 2, (4 ounce cans) of chopped green chilis
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- ½ garlic salt
- 10 8 inch flour tortillas
- Enchilada sauce recipe follows
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Rub both sides of the chicken well with seasoning. Place the chicken in a 12 inch Dutch oven or a 9 x 13 casserole dish, pour the chicken broth into the dish. Cover with tin foil.
- Bake the chicken for about 1 hour, or until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the oven, and take the chicken out to cool.
- About 20 minutes before the chicken has finished cooking, melt the butter in a cast iron skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until tender
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the milk. Heat until warm, cut the cream cheese into small chunks and add to skillet. Keep cooking, stirring constantly until the cheese melts.
- Stir in the chopped green chilis,cumin, cayenne pepper,½ teaspoon black pepper, and garlic salt. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes to blend flavors, stirring constantly.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred with a fork. Stir the chicken into the cream cheese mixture.
- Evenly spoon the chicken mixture onto the flour tortillas, 2 to 3 tablespoons per tortilla, then slightly roll up.
Pour about ⅓ of the enchilada sauce into a 11 x13 casserole dish or a 12 inch Dutch oven. Place the enchiladas in dish ad pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tortillas soften and the dish is hot. About 5 minutes before the enchiladas are done sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with additional cayenne pepper and/or cumin and serve warm.
Make about 3 ½ cups
1 ½ cups sour cream
1 ½ cups heavy cream
2 roasted/peeled and chopped hatch green chiles or( 1-4 ounce can)
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
In a medium bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until smooth.