Howdy, y’all and thanks for stopping by the website. Today we are going to make the easiest, creamiest homemade ‘mater soup you’ve ever tasted. It really doesn’t get any better than serving up a hot steaming bowl of thick, creamy soup, now, does it?
My favorite thing about this soup is that the ingredients are simple and usually on hand, so at the end of a long day you can put these together and have a delicious, comforting meal.
Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
We do a lot of our cooking outside. Most of the time, we like to use cast iron, but today we’re going to use an enameled Dutch oven. Why? Tomatoes are acidic and can damage your seasoning if you use cast iron. We’re using a Lodge enamel Dutch oven that resists high heat, fire, and acidic foods.
Start by dicing up two white onions and sautéing them in a little unsalted butter. When the onions are translucent, transfer them into a blender or food processor. If you don’t have a blender or food processor, just dice the onions as small as you can. They’ll taste great either way.
Add two more cans of crushed tomatoes to the blender. Add a heaping half cup of fresh parsley and about a fourth to a half of a cup of fresh basil. If you don’t have fresh basil, you can use about two tablespoons of dried basil. Blend well.
Pour the blended onions and tomato mixture back into your stew pot. Turn the heat to medium low. Blend two more cans of tomatoes and add them to the simmering soup.
Tip: For chunkier soup, add a can or two of the tomatoes to the stew pot without blending them first.
Add the cream. Add some garlic powder, and if you like a little heat, some cayenne pepper. A small amount of cayenne is all you need – about a fourth of a teaspoon will give you a delicious little taste of heat at the end of each bite. The parsley and basil, combined with the fresh onion, make this a fresh tasting tomato soup.
Taste as you go on and add seasonings as needed. You can add some more garlic, some salt, pepper – whatever makes this taste like home. Let the soup simmer for about thirty minutes and then serve with your favorite bread, crackers, or sandwich.
As always, I thank you all for sharing our food with us. Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel and click “like” on all of your favorite videos. We’ll see you down the Easy Creamy ‘Mater Soup trail.
Creamy Tomato Soup - Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 5 15 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried basil or ¼ to ½ cup fresh optional
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Melt the butter and olive or avocado oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Cook about 8 minutes, or until the onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onions to a blender along with 2 cans of the tomatoes, parsley and basil. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the contents into a large pot. Stir in the cream, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Blend the remaining 3 cans of tomatoes in the blender and stir in to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.