Howdy, and thanks for stopping by the website! We recently hosted a live cook at our YouTube channel, and this post will summarize the tips and tricks we used to make the best Frito Pie you’ve ever had. The free printable recipe is at the bottom of this post if that’s what you’re looking for.
Frito pie brings back great childhood memories. Similar to a walking taco, the concession stand employees would take a snack sized bag of Fritos and pour some piping hot chili and nacho cheese right in the bag. Those Frito pies were so greasy they’d sometimes eat through the plastic-like bag that the Fritos came in!
This recipe is my take on Frito pie – instead of a snack, this Frito Pie is a meal.
Frito Pie: A One-Skillet Meal
Pre-heat the skillet to medium high and the oven to 350. This skillet is going to go from the range to the oven. After the meat and vegetables are cooked, the oven is going to melt the cheese so it’s good and brown on the top.
Tip: You can use chili seasoning instead of season salt if that’s all you have on hand. It’ll be delicious.
Get a good 12″ cast iron skillet and start by browning some 80/20 ground beef – 2 lbs per full sized bag of Fritos. Season with Original Seasoning and add some W sauce. Sauté until it’s just about done, then add the diced vegetables.
Tip: Buy the Scoop-sized Fritos. They hold more goodies than the small corn chips.
Cook until the bell pepper and onions until translucent. When they’re tender, add red enchilada sauce. This will add such a delicious flavor and texture to the meal.
Tip: Substitute Rotel for the diced tomatoes for extra flavor!
Cover over the entire mixture with cheese and place into the oven until the cheese is golden brown on top. When that’s done spread the Fritos all over the top. We used chili cheese Fritos around the edge of the skillet and the Frito Scoops in the center. Grab you a big spoon and dig in!
As always, we thank you for stopping by the website! Please subscribe to our channel so that you can be notified whenever we have a live cook coming up. If you subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Facebook, we do share a shopping list ahead of time to get you prepared to cook along with us. The more of you that join us, the better! Have a great day and we’ll see y’all down the Frito Pie trail!
Frito Pie - Cowboy Kent Rollins
- 2 lbs 80/20 ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper, large diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 15 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp Kent Rollins' Original Seasoning or salt and pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2-3 cups Frito corn chips Scoops
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet (or other oven-safe skillet), begin browning the meat over medium heat. When the meat starts to brown, stir in the onion and green pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the meat has browned completely, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire and enchilada sauces, and Original Seasoning to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the meat mixture.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle the Fritos evenly over the top. Lightly press the Fritos into the pie and serve.