Looking for an easy, mouth-watering recipe to make this summer? Look no further! It’s grilling season and meat isn’t the only thing on our grill this summer. Our grilled banana boat recipe with peanut butter chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk is one of the best ooey gooey treats ever.
We’re going to first soften the bananas on the grill just until they begin to brown/darken a bit.
The next step is to slice the banana in half lengthwise. Be sure not to cut all the way through! Pull them apart just enough to be able to load up all the sweet goodness we’re about to add.
Sprinkle in the peanut butter and chocolate chips to your liking.
It’s a happy meal in a banana peel
At this point we’re returning to the grill and you want to put the ‘naners on indirect heat and close the lid.
If you’re using a coal grill and you take a metal spatula, move the coals to the sides and place your boats right in the middle.
When the chips begin to melt it’s time to add our secret ingredient for this recipe is Sweetened Condensed milk. It’s tasty and richer than all the folks on wall street!
With this, the ship has sailed, the boat has landed and your grilled banana boats are ready to be eaten! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Grilled Banana Boats
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans optional
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- Ice cream or whipped cream for serving optional
- Clean and preheat a grill to hot. Place the unpeeled bananas on the grill. Grill just until the skins begin to turn dark about 2 minutes, rotating as needed.
- Remove the bananas from the grill. Slice the bananas lengthwise down the middle. Be sure not to cut completely through. Spread the bananas apart.
- Fill the middle of each banana with a layer of chocolate chips, followed by the peanut butter chips.
- Place the bananas back on the grill on indirect low heat and shut the lid. Grill just until the chips begin to softened. Spoon about 1 - 2 tablespoons of the condensed milk on top. Close the grill and continue to grill until the milk has warmed through.
- Remove and serve with nuts, ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.