Nothing says Southern comfort food like good old chicken fried steak. And you may be scouring the internet trying to find the perfect recipe, but look no further. This is my Throwdown-winning chicken fried steak recipe, that even Bobby Flay couldn’t beat! If y’all never saw that episode, you can watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D07rdkl3JAI.
The three most important parts to getting this perfect are:
#1 What meat to buy
#2 How to get that crunch in every bite
#3 What we’re going to fry it in
I’ll be answering these questions and sharing my tips and secrets to get that perfect crispy, juicy chicken fried steak in my video (below). So don’t miss it, folks!
Cowboy Classic Chicken Fried Steak
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Mesquite Seasoning available here: https://kentrollins.com/shop-1/ or smoked paprika and pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Original Seasoning available here: https://kentrollins.com/shop-1/ or seasoned salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- fry oil canola, creamy liquid shortening, peanut
- tenderized round steaks we used inside of the round
- In a bowl, combine the buttermilk, Mesquite seasoning and egg. Whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, Original seasoning, baking powder and cornstarch.
- In a Dutch oven, pour in enough oil to deep-fry the steaks (2 to 3 inches). Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches about 350°F.
- Pick up one piece of meat and dip it into the wet batter and then into the flour mixture. Be sure both sides are well coated. Repeat, or as I call it, “double baptize.”
- Fry the steaks for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Be sure there is no red liquid coming from the steaks. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with the gravy.