Y’all know I love me some fish of every variety, but when it comes to fancy eating, I love lobster! Of course, this is quite expensive and not always easy to find. Today we’re making Poor Man’s Lobster that is so easy and affordable. Lots of people like to use halibut for this dish, but cod works just as well, and that’s what we’ll be cooking up today. You can use any white fish that has enough texture and size that you can easily cut it into 1″ x 1″ chunks.
Poor Man's Lobster
- Cod or Halibut filets thawed if frozen
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- lemon pepper dill seed, melted butter (for serving)
- Fill a large pot about 1/2 to 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil.
- Add in half a lemon, cut into 2 pieces and the sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Allow the mixture to come back to a boil for a couple minutes.
- Cut the fish into about 1-inch chunks and add to the boiling water. Do not stir!
- When the fish begin bobbing and float to the top, strain them out and set on a paper towel or wire rack.
- Sprinkle with lemon, lemon pepper and/or dill seed (optional). Dip in butter- serve warm.